(for specifications and instructions please see the individual mill page)
Introducing Our New NexGen Mill
Sherline Products is proud to introduce its latest Vertical Milling machine. With the increase of popularity of Sherline mills in industrial, laboratory and school training environments, the need to produce larger parts has led to the development of an extended capacity milling machine. Sherline’s NexGen Mills are available in Manual, CNC-Ready, and full CNC configurations.
The new NexGen Mill has the following standard features:
• Extra-Rigid Column Base
• 15" Extended Column Bed
• 18" Extended Mill Table
• 18" Mill Base
• 7" x 13" Tooling Plate (3 T-slots, Alignment Pins)
• Y-axis covers—Mill Accordion Way Cover Set and extended 12” brass rear leadscrew cover
• Extra-rigid Column Base—To take maximum advantage of the extended column travels on this extra capacity Sherline mill, the column base has been increased in cross section for additional rigidity. The ability to swing the column arm from side to side has been eliminated in order to maximize the column’s ability to maintain its position during heavy cuts. The column still rotates left and right 90° and the in/out adjustment is still available, giving it seven directions of movement including X, Y, Z and headstock rotation on the column itself.
• 15” Extended Column Bed—The standard 11” column with 5.38” of Z-axis travel has been replaced with Sherline’s optional 15” column that provides 9.38” of vertical movement for use on larger parts or taller set-ups.
• 18” Extended Mill Table—The standard 13” mill table with 8.65” of travel has been replaced with Sherline’s optional 18” table that provides 13.65” of X-axis travel.
• 18” Mill Base—The standard 14” mill base has been replaced with an 18” base that provides an additional 4” of Y-axis travel. This is made more useable with the inclusion of a P/N 1297 mill headstock spacer block that adds an additional 1.25” of throat distance to take advantage of the additional travel.
• The included 7 x 13” tooling plate makes holding parts easy. It has three T-slots as well as a pattern of drilled and tapped 10-32 holes for use with clamps and hold-down sets. Once the plate is squared with the mill, steel alignment pins speed up the process of making sure your parts and fixtures are also square with the mill.
• Y-axis Leadscrew Protection—Clear plastic accordion way covers protect the front half of the Y-axis leadscrew from chips. The covers are extra long to accommodate the additional 4” of Y-axis travel. In addition, a longer 12” brass tube extending through the column base protects the rear half of the leadscrew from chips.
• Other standard features include oilers on the X-, Y- and Z-axes to keep the column leadscrew and base saddle leadscrews and ways lubricated during extended CNC operations. In addition, backlash is adjustable on X-, Y- and Z-axes. Adjustable tapered plastic gibs provide a way to accommodate wear on the aluminum and steel dovetailed slides on all three axes.
The driver board is installed inside the computer and has a separate external on/off power switch. It is capable of driving the mill's X-, Y- and Z-axis stepper motors as well as an optional 4th axis. The optional 8730 rotary table with stepper motor can be ordered and it will plug right in to the A-axis cable and can be controlled with the 4-axis EMC software.
Accessory Packages Available
For those just getting started we have made available a selection of the most popular accessories that can be ordered along with the CNC system. Purchasing these accessories as a package offers and additional $50 savings compared to purchasing them separately. Included in the package are the following accessories:
- 3551 Milling Vise
- 3013 Step Block Hold-down Set
- 3079 3/8" End Mill Holder
- 3060 3-pc. Mill Collet Set w/ Drawbolt
- 7401 6-pc. 3/8" Shank End Mill Set
- 3052 Fly Cutter
- 3021 3-pc. Center Drill Set
- 3020 Sherline 5/32" Hex T-driver
- 5327 Sherline Shop Accessories Guide book