Sherline Products is proud to introduce its latest Vertical Milling machine. With the increase of popularity of Sherline mills in industrial, laboratory and school training environments, the need to produce larger parts has led to the development of an extended capacity milling machine. Sherline’s NexGen Mills are available in Manual, CNC-Ready, and full CNC configurations.
Standard features for the model 8580 (8581 metric) mill includes:
- Extra-rigid Column Base—To take maximum advantage of the extended column travels on this extra capacity Sherline mill, the column base has been increased in cross section for additional rigidity. The ability to swing the column arm from side to side has been eliminated in order to maximize the column’s ability to maintain its position during heavy cuts. The column still rotates left and right 90° and the in/out adjustment is still available, giving it seven directions of movement including X, Y, Z and headstock rotation on the column itself.
- 15″ Extended Column Bed—The standard 11″ column with 5.38″ of Z-axis travel has been replaced with Sherline’s optional 15″ column that provides 9.38″ of vertical movement for use on larger parts or taller set-ups.
- 18″ Extended Mill Table—The standard 13″ mill table with 8.65″ of travel has been replaced with Sherline’s optional 18″ table that provides 13.65″ of X-axis travel.
- 18″ Mill Base—The standard 14″ mill base has been replaced with an 18″ base that provides an additional 4″ of Y-axis travel. This is made more useable with the inclusion of a P/N 1297 mill headstock spacer block that adds an additional 1.25″ of throat distance to take advantage of the additional travel.
- 7″ x 13″ tooling plate—The included tooling plate makes holding parts easy. It has three T-slots as well as a pattern of drilled and tapped 10-32 holes for use with clamps and hold-down sets. Once the plate is squared with the mill, steel alignment pins speed up the process of making sure your parts and fixtures are also square with the mill.
- Y-axis Leadscrew Protection—Clear plastic accordion way covers protect the front half of the Y-axis leadscrew from chips. The covers are extra long to accommodate the additional 4″ of Y-axis travel. In addition, a longer 12″ brass tube extending through the column base protects the rear half of the leadscrew from chips.
- Other standard features include oilers on the X-, Y- and Z-axes to keep the column leadscrew and base saddle leadscrews and ways lubricated during extended CNC operations. In addition, backlash is adjustable on X-, Y- and Z-axes. Adjustable tapered plastic gibs provide a way to accommodate wear on the aluminum and steel dovetailed slides on all three axes.
The driver board is installed inside the computer and has a separate external on/off power switch. It is capable of driving the mill's X-, Y- and Z-axis stepper motors as well as an optional 4th axis. The optional 8730 rotary table with stepper motor can be ordered and it will plug right in to the A-axis cable and can be controlled with the 4-axis EMC software.
Sherline CNC Specification Links:
Sherline CNC Specification page. See all the specs side-by-side on Sherline’s complete line of CNC Mills and CNC Lathes.
Sherline Stepper Motor Specifications
8760 CNC 4-Axis Driver Box Kit page. This driver box is sold separately, however, it is the same driver that comes standard with every Sherline CNC computer system. Check out the Specifications tab on the page for details.
NOTE: Depending upon availability, actual computer supplied with system may look different than shown above.
Max clearance (table to spindle):14.00″ (356 mm)
Throat (no spacer): Adjustable
Throat (w/ headstock spacer):Adjustable
Travel, “X” Axis: 13.65″ (347 mm)
Travel, “Y” Axis: 11.00″ (279 mm)
Travel, “Z” Axis: 9.38″ (238 mm)
Hole through spindle: .405″ (10 mm)
Spindle nose thread: 3/4″-16 T.P.I.
Spindle nose taper: #1 Morse
Handwheel graduations: .001″ (.01 mm)
Electronically controlled spindle speed range: 70 to 2800 RPM
Width Overall: 20.00 (508 mm)
Depth Overall: 23.13″ (588 mm)
Height Overall (Max.): 24.50″ (622 mm)
Table size: 2.75″ x 18.00″ (70 x 457 mm)
Hold-down provision: 3 T-Slots
Shipping Weight: 50 lb. (22.7 kg)
Movements in addition to X-, Y- and Z-axes: Headstock rotation (90° left/right)
Column pivot: 90° forward/back
Column swing: 90° left/right
Column travel: (in/out) 5.5″ (140 mm)
Motor: 90 volt DC with electronic speed control that accepts any incoming current from 100VAC to 240 VAC, 50 Hz or 60 Hz. Click here for motor specifications
Spindle Speed Range: 70-2800 RPM continuously variable by electronic speed control
Available in your choice of inch or metric handwheel graduations.
Accessory Packages Available
For those just getting started we have made available a selection of the most popular accessories that can be ordered along with the CNC system. Purchasing these accessories as a package offers and additional $50 savings compared to purchasing them separately. Included in the package are the following accessories:
- 3551 Milling Vise
- 3013 Step Block Hold-down Set
- 3079 3/8" End Mill Holder
- 3060 3-pc. Mill Collet Set w/ Drawbolt
- 7401 6-pc. 3/8" Shank End Mill Set
- 3052 Fly Cutter
- 3021 3-pc. Center Drill Set
- 3020 Sherline 5/32" Hex T-driver
- 5327 Sherline Shop Accessories Guide book
Download PDF Assembly and Instruction Guide