This larger chuck takes up no more center-to-center space than the 2.5" chuck, but it will hold larger work. It has a clamping range of from 3/32" (2 mm) up to 1-1/2" (38 mm) diameter with the jaws in the normal position. With the jaws in the reversed position, work up to 2-3/4" (70 mm) can be gripped. The hole through the chuck is .687" (17 mm). Rotating the knurled ring closes all three jaws simultaneously to quickly grip round or hexagonal stock. Tommy bars (provided) are used in the holes in the side to tighten and loosen the chuck for more leverage. The chuck has a 3/4-16 thread to fit Sherline's spindle.
- For those who have jobs where speed and ease of use are more important than maximum accuracy and want a chuck that is loose right from the start (No extra charge).
Add the note “loose jaws” to the “comments/special instructions” box.
- Soft (unhardened) steel jaws are also available upon request (No extra charge). They are not stepped so they can be machined by the customer for custom holding applications. Because of this the jaws tolerances are not held to the same standard as our standard chuck jaws.
Add the note “soft jaws” to the “comments/special instructions” box.
- Interchangeable top jaws are also available.
- Chuck Diameter - 3.1″
- Jaw Capacity - With jaws in normal position: 3/32″ (2mm) – 1-1/2″ (38mm). With jaws in reverse position: 3/32″ (2mm) – 2-3/4″ (70mm)
- Through Hole Diameter - .687″ (17mm)
- Thread Size - 3/4-16
- Chuck Body Material - 12L14 Steel
- Chuck Jaws Material - 12L14 Case Hardened Steel
40580 - Spindle Bar
Because chuck jaws are facotry ground to precisely match each chuck body, replacement jaws cannot be bought either individually or as a set. If you need to replace the jaws you can give us a call or send us a message to set up returning your chuck for installation of new jaws.
Download PDF 1040 Instructions